Hi everyone ! In this article i will discuss with you all about ” How Peatlands can help us to solve climate crisis “.
Peatlands are really important to conserve the Biodiversity and Climate of Earth.
Therefore let’s get started. Happy Reading !
WHAT ARE PEATLANDS ?
Peat is the accumulation of organic matter ( including remains of different plants ).
Peatlands are basically the type of wetlands which store the highest amount of Carbon than any other forest and they are one of the most precious ecosystems present on Earth.
They are present in more than 150 countries and account for 3% of the world’s land surface.
WHY ARE PEATLANDS IMPORTANT ?
Peatlands are one of the most important ecosystems on Earth. Peatlands are important because : –
- Peatlands are naturally occurring ecosystems and they store the highest amount of Carbon then any other forest.
- They provide us fresh drinking water.
- Peatlands help us to conserve Biodiversity on Earth.
- Degradation of Peatlands means dealing with Climatic crisis because degradation of Peatlands results to release of high emission of GHG’s ( Greenhouse Gases ) into the atmosphere say 10%.
- Help us to minimize the soil erosion and deforestation.
- They help us to minimize flood risk and agricultural loss.
- We can deal with with Climate Change if we have Peatlands because they will regulate the temperature of the Earth.
Now after going through these terms and “How Peatlands can help us to solve climate crisis ? ” now you can determine that Peatlands are good alternatives to deal with Climate Change.
If you want to learn more on Climate Change then you can get more details on Climate Change on my website.
More percentage of Peatlands will result in greater efficiency and improve in climatic condition and resistance of Earth.
We are deploying Peatlands at a very high rate than ever. Almost 15% of the Peatlands have been destroyed ( nearly 0.4% of Peatlands present on Earth ).
We need some urgent actions in order to preserve these precious gifts from nature.
- Peatlands are low cost and highly impactful solutions to deal with Climate Crisis.
- They store twice of Carbon than all world’s forest.
- Their degradation releases 8 million tonnes of CO2 every year.
- In Indonesia ( year 2015 ) more than 42% of CO2 emissions were due to degradation of Peatlands.
- Due to Global Warming in Arctic region permafrost Peatlands are melting.
We must protect Peatlands in all around the world to deal with Climate crisis and they are one of the most precious ecosystems present on Earth.
” MAINTAINING ENVIRONMENT AND ITS BEAUTY IS A PLEASURE AND THE BIGGEST GIFT TO GOD FROM YOUR SIDE.” – By Shivam Roy