Macroplastics are basically large pieces or you can say particles which have size more than 5 mm.
WHAT ARE CORAL REEFS ?
They are hard and 3 dimensional structures with : –
- Hiding places and
- They are the habitats of more than 1000s’ of species.
WHAT DO THEY SUPPORT ?
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF CORAL REEFS ?
There are mainly 3 types and they are : –
- Fringing Reef
- Barrier Reef
- Atoll Reef
WHAT IS THE IMPORTANCE OF CORAL REEFS ?
- They provide habitat and shelter to many organisms.
- Coral Reefs helps in nutrient recycling.
- All the Fishing industries depends on them.
- Assist in carbon and nitrogen fixing.
- They also protect us and our coastlines from storms.
- Promoting Tourism such as Scuba Divers.
- They are good source in medical lines to prevent us from various diseases.
- Source of food
- Ecosystem Services
WHY ARE CORAL REEFS DISAPPEARING ?
The main reasons are human activities and natural disasters.
They are disappearing due to : –
- Coral mining
HOW MACROPLASTICS ARE IMPACTING CORAL REEFS ?
- Reducing their population.
- Direct Ingestion
- By physical and chemical damage.
- Introduction of pathogenic agents
- Lowering overall water quality.
- marine ecosystem ( lakes, rivers, oceans etc ) .
- Using less water
- We can use organic fertilizers
- Reduce our carbon footprint
- We should not throw anything in the oceans and lakes.
- By not purchasing any coral remembrance like jewellery.
Where are they found in India?
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Gulf of Mannar
- Palk Bay
- Lakshadweep Islands
Yes ,they are very important to us because : –
- They are one of the most diverse ecosystem on this planet.