WHAT HAPPENED IN CHENNAI THAT NIGHT ?
It was a perfect storm and it was also a man – made disaster.
On 1 December 2015, Chennai received the seasons highest rainfall ( near about 345 mm of rain fell on the city ).
- Ground floors were submerged under water.
- Thousands of families lost their property .
People were stuck in : –
- Rooftops and
- On top floors
- Without sufficient amount of food and water.
The state government was quite slow in bringing immediate relief to the affected population.
There was an immediate sign of : –
- NDRF ( National Disaster Response Force ).
- Volunteers and NGO’s were quick enough and saved lives of many people.
- The Fishermen lend their boats and
- Indian army arrived with their own boats and equipments.
- In order to help the people.
# REASONS OF THE FLOOD
The reasons for the flood are : –
- Climate Change
- Global warming
- El Nino
- Human activities
Now the question arises : –
WHY DID THE RAIN CAUSE OVER FLOODING AT SUCH A HIGH RATE ?
The reasons are : –
- Successive water-logging ( flooded the waterways ).
- Release of water from reservoirs.
- Tamil Nadu allowed illegal construction.
- The builders filled up rest of the water bodies like ponds .
- Illegal and unplanned development on water bodies allowing no exit route for the water.
- This is because due to so many ponds and lakes water does not settle down and it flows away.
- Since there are no such ponds left , the water tend to stay collected in the city.
- Climate Change and powerful El Nino.
WHAT IS EL – NINO ?
El Nino is an oscillation of ocean – atmosphere system.
CONCLUSION AND AWARENESS
Therefore now you know the cosequences of Chennai flood.
- There must be an order from the state government to strictly block any more construction in order to save rest of the water bodies.
- Public Awareness
- A master plan to protect the city.
People must be educated so that then can : –
- Know about the environment and
- Protect the nature.