WHAT IS SOIL ?
- Organic matter
- Liquids and
- Organisms that together support life.
TYPES OF SOIL
- Alluvial and Black Soil
- Red and Loamy Soil
- Sandy and Silt Soil
- Absorbing and holding water and nutrients.
- Preventing Floods
- Anchoring the roots
- Filtering rainwater and cleaning contaminated water.
- Storing large amount of organic carbon.
- Providing home to a large number of organisms such as Earthworms and Termites.
- Storing seeds.
- Absorbing, storing and reflecting the sun’s energy.
- Providing us some essential construction and manufacturing materials.
- Acting against pollutants.
- Protects the quality of groundwater.
- Holding millions of micro-organisms that fix nitrogen and decompose organic matter.
WHAT IS THE STATUS OF THE WORLD’S SOIL RESERVES ?
- Current state of the upper layer.
- Its role in providing economic services.
WHAT ARE THE MAJOR STEPS OF THIS REPORT ?
- They are the fundamental sources of life on Earth.
- Further loss will boost food-price and it will drive millions of people in the state of poverty.
- If we can manage this upper layer of Earth then it can can increase the food supply.
- Achieving sustainable management will help us to generate large benefits for all nations.
# MAJOR THREATS
Nutrient Imbalance : –
- It leads to food insecurity
- Poor water quality and
- Greenhouse gas emissions.
Upper layer Acidification : – Building up of hydrogen and aluminium ions and loss of cations such as
- Magnesium and
Loss of biodiversity: – Decline in the diversity of micro and macro-nutrients present in the upper layer of the Earth.
Contamination : – Addition of chemicals in the upper layer of Earth.