WHAT IS GREENHOUSE GAS ?
When more greenhouse gas reaches the atmosphere : –
- the average temperature of the Earth increases which leads to Global Warming.
# WHY THIS HAPPENS ?
- GHG’s trap heat.
- CH4 ,and
- Nitrous oxide.
# SOURCES AND CAUSES
The sources and causes of Greenhouse gas effect are : –
- All the human activities
- Fossil fuel combustion
- Land use usage
- Increasing intensive agriculture
- Deforestation which leads to increase in carbon content
These are some of the primary causes for the increase of GHG’s in the atmosphere.
# OTHER GHG’S
Other Greenhouse gases found in the atmosphere are :
# MAIN GHG’S
The main Greenhouse Gases are :
- F-Gases or Fluorinated gases
- Water vapour
# CARBON DIOXIDE
Carbon dioxide enters the atmosphere through burning of : –
- Fossil fuels ( coal , natural gas and oil )
- Solid waste
- Trees and
- Wood products and
- By results of certain chemical reactions.
Methane is emitted during the production and transport of coal ,natural gas and oil.
Methane has tiny proportion in the atmosphere but has higher warming potential.
# NITROUS OXIDE
Nitrous Oxide is emitted during : –
- Agricultural and industrial activities.
- Combustion of fossil fuels and
- Solid waste.
‘ F-Gases ‘ are a family of man made gases used in a range of industrial applications.
These gases often substitutes for ozone-depleting substances.
This is because they do not damage the atmospheric ozone layer.
# WATER VAPOR
Water vapor is not a potent gas i.e heat trapping gas.
WHY DO WE FOCUS ON CO2 EMISSIONS ?
There are 2 main reasons why CO2 gets all the attention : –
- It has caused most of the warming.
- CO2 adds more quickly to the atmosphere than other gases.
- It is more abundant.
- CO2 remains for 100’s of years which is much longer than other greenhouse gases .
# LIMITING OUR EMISSIONS
The emissions today we release from : –
- Plants and
- Vehicles will decide the climate change for our future generation.
- We should limit the human activities.
The major advantage for the presence of CO2 in the atmosphere is that :
‘ Greenhouse Gases causes global warming but their absence will make the Earth cold due to which survival is not possible so CO2 is somehow important for us.
HOW DOES AGRICULTURE CONTRIBUTE TO GHG EMISSIONS ?
- Fossil fuels consumed by agricultural machinery cause emissions.
- Cattle produce methane during their digestion process.
- When rice is grown in flooded fields , the soil organic matter decomposes in the absence of oxygen producing methane.
- When nitrogen is added to the soil as fertilizer, nitrous oxide is produced naturally as an intermediate step in nitrification.