Hi everyone ! In this article i am going to discuss with you all about ” How Farmers in Iceland are growing food on Arctic Circle ? “.
# General Introduction
During the winters, the sun rises for hardly 5 hours a day in Iceland and they can hardly go outside from their homes during the winter season and they are trying their best to produce more and more food with the help of Geothermal Energy. Iceland is near to the edge of Arctic Circle.
Geothermal energy makes up a quarter of Iceland’s electricity.
It is really appreciated that they are relying on Renewable energy rather than exploiting the natural resources.
# What Is Geothermal Energy ?
Geothermal energy is the production of energy using the internal heat of the Earth’s crust. It is the heat present inside the Earth.
Thermal energy determines the temperature of matter.
# So now the question comes that ” How Farmers in Iceland are growing food on Arctic Circle ? “
They are producing more and more food with the help of Greenhouse springs ( hot springs ).
Giant greenhouses – It is basically a building or a room in which roofing is done by of glass or tarpaulin and walls are used as greenhouse.
- First they exploit the energy of Iceland’s geothermal springs and use boiling water to heat the giant greenhouses.
- This allows the vegetables to grow even in the dark ( harsh icy climate in sub zero winters ) like the production of more tomatoes and cucumbers.
- Due to this bone-crushing cool climate very little crops can grow outside.
- Geothermal Energy has been used in Iceland rapidly from the last 2 decades to tackle with food insecurity and many more problems.
- This new technology is helping more and more to grow different variety of crops and is also helping to make larger giant greenhouses.
Each one is controlled by the Climate Control System.
By these efficient giant greenhouses we can easily adjust the : –
- Temperature and
- Providing sufficient water to plants.
To achieve the goal of Sustainable Development it is necessary for each and every country to contribute their best in order to conserve the environment.
These giant greenhouses are a great example to tackle food insecurity.
There is a rapid growth of : –
- Urbanization and
- Population in the last few decades.
The demand of food and resources are increasing day by day so i think it is a great initiative taken by Iceland.
Each and every country should try something like this to feed the people and global economy with food and resources again and again.
” MAINTAINING ENVIRONMENT AND ITS BEAUTY IS A PLEASURE AND THE BIGGEST GIFT TO GOD FROM YOUR SIDE.” – By Shivam Roy