The average temperature of Earth is increasing as we continue to develop ourselves and put load on environment and climate. This is mainly due to emissions of gases which further causes : –
- Global Warming and
- Climate Change.
One of the reason for Earth’s rising temperature is Greenhouse Effect.
WHAT IS GREENHOUSE GAS ?
A Greenhouse gas ( GHG ) is a gas in an atmosphere that absorbs and emits radiation within the thermal infrared range. Many chemical compounds present in Earth’s atmosphere acts as ‘ greenhouse gases ‘ and at last they lead to greenhouse effect.
These are gases which allow direct sunlight to reach the Earth’s surface.
# MAIN GHG’S
The main GHG’s present in the atmosphere are : –
- Nitrous Oxide
- Water vapor
# GREENHOUSE GAS LEADS TO GLOBAL WARMING
When the greenhouse gas reaches the atmosphere : –
- The average temperature of the Earth increases which leads to Global Warming.
# GREENHOUSE GAS EFFECT
- We release gases from industries and vehicles and they get accumulated directly into the atmosphere.
- Sun rays reaches the Earth’s atmosphere.
- The GHG’s are present in the atmosphere.
- Some of the solar radiations get reflected back by the : –
- Earth and
- The atmosphere.
- Most of the radiations are absorbed by the Earth.
- it warms the surface.
- Infrared radiation is emitted from the Earth’s surface.
- Some of the infrared radiation passes through the atmosphere.
- Some is : –
- Absorbed and
- Re-emitted by Greenhouse gas molecules.
- The effect of this is to : –
- Warm the Earth’s surface and
- The lower atmosphere.