Therefore let’s get started.
# WHAT IS URBAN SPRAWL ?
WHAT ARE SUBURBS ?
WHY SUBURBS DEPENDS ON MAIN CITY ?
- Major shopping
- Electricity and
- Water supply and
- Sewage services also gets extended to the suburb.
- the size of the city increases due to which the municipality faces severe problems.
WHAT PROBLEMS DOES MUNICIPALITY FACE ?
- There is a Constant increasing demand for services.
- People suffer from a lot of traffic jams.
- Commuting times get longer.
- Increase of unemployed members in society.
- No sufficient arrangement for food and shelter ( especially in developing countries like India )
- We face parking problems for vehicles.
WHAT ARE THE IDEAS GOVERNMENT CAME UP WITH ?
To stop this urban sprawl government came up with the idea of : –
- Satellite towns and
- Green belts.
A Greenbelt is policy ,used in land planning to preserve the land areas which are largely : –
- Agricultural land.
Water Scarcity : – With the increase of : –
- Population and
- Buildings the demand for water increases.
In most cities the : –
- Ponds and
- Lakes that used to provide water are now dry and heavily polluted.
- Solid Waste : – Thousands of tonnes of waste from the cities are transported and dumped in landfills.
- Traffic chaos and air pollution : – Hundreds of new vehicles are registered everyday and roads are not designed to handle so much of traffic.
- Traffic jam adds delays and worsens the air quality.
- Bad roads and flooding : – Due to corruption, poor construction and constant digging roads are in bad shape and are adding more congestion and accidents.
- Water drains are also badly designed and are unable to handle heavy rains.
- Inadequate and Unaffordable housing : – About 25% of the urban population lives in slums and there are no basic facilities available.
SMART CITIES MISSION
WHAT ARE THE CORE INFRASTRUCTURE ELEMENTS ?
- Adequate water supply
- Assured electricity supply
- Proper Sanitation ( including solid waste management )
- Availability of public transport.
- Affordable housing, especially for the poor.
- Robust IT connectivity
- Sustainable environment
- Safety and security of citizens, particularly women, children and elders
- Health and Education
- E-Governance and citizen services
- Waste management
- Water management
- Energy management
- Urban mobility ( smart parking, intelligent traffic management )
SMART CITIES IN INDIA
Smart cities in India are located in : –
- New Delhi