CAN WE PROVIDE EVERYONE WITH FLUSH TOILETS ?
- Clean the toilet bowl
- Also to transport the excreta.
On a recent research data, we came to know that : –
- ‘ using a flush toilet suppose a family of 5 members uses more than 150,000 litres of water in a year.
It is very difficult to provide flush toilet system for all due to :
- Worsening water scarcity
- Shortage of funds to build large sewage plants
- Increasing population
- Agricultural areas and drinking water shrinking percentage
One of the best ways to adopt is Ecological sanitation.
WHAT IS ECOLOGICAL SANITATION ?
Ecological sanitation or EcoSan is : –
- Connecting sanitation and
- Urban planning.
Ecological sanitation is a concept that treats various types of waste generated by us as a resource which can be safely : –
- Treated and
- Reused to prevent pollution of water bodies and the environment.
# MAIN FEATURES OF ECO-SAN
Its main features are : –
- It regards human excreta as a resource to be recycled rather than as a waste to be disposed of.
- Applicable for rural and urban areas and for poor and rich alike.
- It does not use water to carry away the solid waste .
- Very appropriate for areas with shortages or irregular water supplies.
- Recycling of human waste prevents direct pollution caused by sewage.
Returns it as nutrients to : –
- Plants and
- Reduces the need for chemical fertilizers.
# DRY COMPOSTING TOILETS
Use dry composting toilets which is : –
- Hygiene and
- Cost -effective solution to human waste disposal.
HOW DO THE BIO -TOILETS IN RAILWAY STATION WORK ?
A bio-toilet has been developed by : –
- Indian railways and
- Defense research and Development organisation ( DRDO ).
It has a colony of anaerobic bacteria ( kept in a container under the lavatory ) that convert human waste into : –
- Water and
- Small amounts of gases ( CO2 and Methane ).
- Clean the streets
- Roads and
- Improve infrastructure of India’s cities
- Small towns and
- Rural areas.
- Clean and keep the cities clean.
- To promote the importance of toilets in a house.
- Improving the quality of a persons mind .