WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY HEAT ISLAND ?
- The surface and
- The atmosphere.
- Shape and
- Landscape all the buildings, roads etc.
- Replaces the open fields
- Agricultural land and
- All the vegetation.
- Many cities have temperature ( 1 to 6 degree Celsius ) warmer than their nearby surroundings.
- Rising temperatures can impact communities in a number of ways.
- Heat island also affects urban noise propagation.
- Heat island occur year -round during the day or night.
- The urban areas temperatures are often observed during clean and clear evenings.
HOW ELEVATED TEMPERATURE CAN IMPACT COMMUNITY ?
Elevated temperatures can impact communities by increasing : –
- Peak energy
- Air conditioning cost
- Air pollution levels and
- Heat related illness .
# PROBLEMS DUE TO HEAT ISLANDS
Heat island can amplify extreme hot weather conditions which cause heat stroke and lead to :
- Physiological disruption
- Organ damage and
- Severe conditions especially for the elders and children.
- such as lengthening the plant growing season.
# IMPACT OF HEAT ISLAND
The negative impacts are : –
- Increased energy consumption : Higher temperature during summer season demand for cooling which generates pressure to the electricity.
- Elevated emissions of air pollutants and GHG’s : Emission of such gases occurs due to increasing energy demand.
- Compromised human health and effort
- Poor water quality
- Heat island affects climate change
- Cities have less water.
- Waste heat from cars, buildings are also contributing for warmer temperatures.
- The thermal properties of buildings add heat to the air by conduction.
- The sunlight absorption is more in cities and less in rural areas .
- The urban heat islands effects can also be reduced by weather phenomena.
- The urban heat islands may also increase the cloudiness and precipitation in the city.
- This is because there are more energy gains because of buildings , roads , vehicles etc.
- In rural areas, trees are present in much high quantity.
- Air quality
- Water and
- Sustainability effort.
- Cleaner air
- Improved human health and
- Reduced energy costs and
- Low GHG’s emissions .
- Switching to cooler materials which generates less heat.
- Planting trees and vegetation
- Increase trees and vegetation cover
- Creating green roofs
- Creating proper water management
- Reducing human activities
Heat island is somehow bad for the environment and also good like plantation time.