Sustainable development is one of the most important topic for each and every generation.
Whether it is past, present or future without following the rules of sustainable development life on Earth will be very difficult.
It is because to get success we need resources in each and every point of our life.
In this article i will go step by step and we will discuss sustainable development in deep.
So let’s get started.
What Is Sustainable Development ?
Sustainable Development is the development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of the future generations to meet their own needs.
What does it actually mean ? Well to explain you all in an easy way it can be said that ‘ sustainable development basically means to save the amount of resources we have right now so that we can use them in the future and in case any problem occurs then we can deal with it ‘.
We are saving these resources for our future generation.
This will help us to save and use more and more of these resources for a longer period of time.
Now you might be thinking :
- Q.1 What are Resources ?
- Q.2 Which resources should we save for the future generation ?
So resources are the things which we need in our day to day life. We use them for a purpose and they satisfy our needs.
For example : Land, water, air, oil, food, wood, wind energy, solar energy, iron, coal etc.
Resources are basically of 2 types Renewable resources and Non-Renewable resources.
Renewable resources can be used for unlimited times ( like solar energy, wind energy and Non-Renewable resources are limited ( like coal, oil etc ).
The resources which we need to save for the future generations are Non-Renewable resources ( like coal, oil, natural gas ) since they are limited in terms of quantity so we should stop exploiting them.
Types Of Sustainable Development
There are mainly 3 major components of sustainable development :
- Economic sustainability i.e focusing and balancing Economic growth
- Environmental sustainability i.e Caring and protecting the environment.
- Social sustainability i.e Social well being.
# This Is A Beautiful Phrase
” We do not inherit this Earth from our ancestors ,
We have borrowed it from our children “
WHY SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT IS IMPORTANT ?
Sustainable Development is very important and this is because : –
- it aims to balance our economic growth,
- environmental growth and
- social needs and thus allowing success and well-being for our new and future generations.
It is an approach to achieve a healthy community by joining economic, environmental and social issues and solving them.Hence, it will help us to avoid the over-consumption of natural resources.Sustainable Development encourages us to conserve our natural resources for the future.
# POINTS TO BE NOTED
So it will help all the countries to meet the basic needs of : –
- Water and
Now below i will discuss the 3 types of sustainability in brief and they are : –
- Environmental sustainability
- Social sustainability
- Economic sustainability
Environmental sustainability prevents nature from being misused and therefore ensures its protection.Various features contribute to achieve this environmental sustainability and some of them are :
- Environmental Conservation
- Saving the water
- Investing in Renewable Energies
- Change in sustainable construction and Architecture.
The social sustainability can contribute for the : –
- Development of people
- It can contribute for the communities and
- Culture to achieve reasonable and fairly distributed quality of life.
- To ensure healthcare and education across the globe.
I know friends in the coming years , gender equality ( especially in developing countries ) will be mainly highlighted.
Sustainability focuses on equal economic growth that :
- Generates wealth for all without harming the environment.
In order to attain Economic sustainability 2 things must be taken under consideration :
- Investment and
- Equal distribution of the economic resources.
THE SKULL CRUSHING DEBATE – ENVIRONMENT VS DEVELOPMENT . WHICH ONE SHOULD BE GIVEN MORE ATTENTION ? WHAT IS IMPORTANT ?
In 1945 i.e the end of world war 2 a new period started which was all about the beginning of the rapid growth of the Economy.The U.S led the economic growth which was later followed by Europe and Japan who came out of the destruction of war and promoted the economic growth.Very soon , development became the aim of most countries ( especially for the developing countries like India ).” Developing was important because it promised many good things like :
- Greater Prosperity to all
- It promised better employment opportunities.
- Better food and
- Good health for everyone
- Many consumer goods
- More powerful nation , freedom , peace and happiness “
We need to take care of our environment as well as we should follow development to fulfill our requirements to ease our life. As per the current condition of the world : –
- A balanced combination of development and environment is not possible .
This is because development definitely affects the environment.Development affects the environment because of human activities and few natural phenomenas.
HOW TO RESOLVE THE DEVELOPMENT VS ENVIRONMENT DILEMMA ?
Development vs Environment is a serious concern for now and for future.There there are some rules which need to be followed to reach the conclusion:
- Without any fear or favour implement and follow all the environmental laws, rules and regulations.
- Calculate the cost in all projects.
- Create awareness for environmental crisis.
- Promote renewable energy , water conservation crisis , energy programmes and biodiversity.
- Minimize the generation of waste.
- Create happiness and continue the economic growth.
” The Earth provides enough to satisfy every man’s need but not for every man’s greed ” . WHAT MAKES THE DEVELOPMENT UNSUSTAINABLE ?In general overuse or over-consumption of resources makes the development unsustainable basically for the future.Human activities mainly influence the sustainability because of various human activities and thus we exploit our environment.So, the root cause is the human activities and some of the factors influenced by our activities are :
- Climate change
- Global warming
- Deforestation and so on .
- Fossil fuels depletion .
- Increase in cost of energy and water is an issue for sustainable development .
EFFECT OF UNSUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT ON OUR PLANET AND ON OUR LIFE.
If we continue to consume the resource at this rate then it is possible that our future generations may not survive long.Some affected areas of our environment and Planet are :
Some key factors are overpopulation and migration due to which we are facing severe problems .Currently it is observed that we need more 1.3 Earths in order to attain sustainability cause the resources are limited .
Due to overpopulation many factors are observed and some of them are :
- Difficulty in generating food resources and houses to stay in there .
# PROTOCOLSSustainability is also promoted by various programmes and protocols and some of them are :
- Earth Summit of 1992
- Agenda 21
- Rio +20
- Montreal Protocol and Kyoto Protocol
SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS
- Sustainable development aims to end poverty in all forms everywhere .
- To ensure healthy lives and well being for all ages .
- It aims to end Hunger and achieve the food security.
- We can promote sustainable agriculture .
- To ensure equal and quality Education .
- Achieve gender equality .
- Ensure sustainable management of water and sanitation for all .
- Promote sustainable Economic growth .
- Reducing the inequality among all the countries in the world.
- Ensure to make cities and human settlements safe and sustainable .
- Take urgent action for Climate change and its impacts .
- Conserve and sustainably use the seas , lakes, rivers and oceans etc .
- Promoting peace and Happiness among all the people and nations ( countries ).
- Protecting the ecosystems and to combat Desertification .
- Promoting all the Energy resources available for us .
Natural Resources are limited and the main threat is : –
- Overpopulation and
- Over – exploitation of resources .
We have to conserve the resources in order to protect the lives of our future generation .
Many of the challenges faced by humankind such as : –
- Climate Change
- Water Scarcity
- Hunger and
- Inequality can also be resolved at a Global level by promoting Sustainable Development .